Monday, September 6, 2010

The First Labor Day

Today I got to experience something akin to the First Thanksgiving...but from the view point of the Native Americans in the United States.

My research group held a BBQ along with many other research groups in the civil engineering & mechanics department. It was a good chance to get out of the lab, socialize (eek!), and meet other people in my department. The civil department (in an American university) does not contain many Americans. In fact, there were only three of us at the BBQ. The rest of the group was comprised of two from Denmark, three from South America, one from Africa, and many many people from China. Everyone was very excited to be having an American BBQ on Labor Day.

When I arrived one of my professors was setting up the grill. He recruited my reluctant boyfriend to man the grill and seemed as pleased as punch to be learning the art of grilling from an American. When it came time to cook one of the boys in my research group took over, gleefully wielding the tongs. While I was there it felt as though I was standing just off the coast of the Atlantic (in reality I was just off the shore of Lake Michigan) listening to the newcomers speaking (I can't understand anything in Chinese!) while sharing some age-old tradition (in this case, BBQ).

Truth to be told, I haven't attended many BBQs in my lifetime. More when I was younger but since I've gotten an electric grill I just haven't seen the need to drag out the bag of charcoal and toss on some lighter fluid to make dinner. What I really enjoyed from this BBQ was all the different food. Sure there was the typical meat & veggies on a stick, the Johnsonville Brats, pork chops, but there were also baby soybeans, noodles, and traditional Chinese desserts. I wish I knew what the desserts were called! Not quite as sweet as typical American (or European) desserts but light and tasty just the same.

Overall, I thought it was a very interesting experience and I'm pretty excited to experience more holidays with my research team.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...