Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Chronicle of Higher Education & What to Call Yourself

Julie from A Very Focused Blog About School and Work, recently introduced me to the website The Chronicle of Higher Education. I'd been on this website before due to people linking the articles on Facebook but I had never paid it much attention. Now I visit the site once every few days looking for advice, ideas, and just to check the news. The chronicle isn't just another website though, they have a print edition too that one can subscribe too. I'm a poor graduate student so I stick with the free content I can get.

One of the front pages of The Chronicle of Higher Education, print edition.

A few weeks ago I had posted about wanting advice for several burning questions I had. One of the questions I had was "How do you manage publishing papers under one name (maiden name and then another name (married name) later on?" Of course the simple answer is to never marry or change your name. By this point in my life I'm pretty confident that I don't want to use the simple answer. From the Chronicle of Higher Education's forums I was able to learn what others had done. For those curious, most people in that position had either done something like:

"Really Neat Paper on Something" by Jane Smith (as Jane Doe)

or

"Really Near Paper on Something" by Jane Doe-Smith.

I'm not a fan of having to write out a long name for myself. If I wrote out my full name as it stands today it would be 22 characters long (not including spaces of special character) and to include a married last name? That would put me at 29 characters (again, not including spaces or special characters). I'm a fan of the first option.

If you were in this position which would you choose?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...