Tuesday, August 16, 2011

What's that smell?

Phew, where is that smell coming from?

Oh, it's coming from me?  That's reasonable considering where I was today.  Today I was at a plant in Sunny Nanjing where the temperature was a balmy 35 deg. C (95 deg. F).  It was air conditioned in the office area but as you would expect, not on the plant floor.  To make matters worse I had to wear this knee-length gown and baseball cap to protect my clothes and the items being manufactured.  What you don't see are the pants, tank top, and 3/4th sleeve cardigan I'm also wearing under the gown.  It was warm I'm telling you.

The personal protective equipment I had to wear.

After leaving one of the areas of the plant where a heating process was completed my coworkers and I were dripping in sweat.  Ew.  This was another instance where those tissues I brought with me came in handy!  The rest of the plant felt pretty cool in comparison after that.

My lunch
At lunch time we walked to the canteen, about five minutes down the road in the industrial park from where the plant is stationed.  After a week of Chinese fare I'm still not sure how to eat food with bones.  Three times now I've eaten food that has bone in it without realizing there are bones before I put it in my mouth.  I'm adequately skilled in using chopsticks in that I can pick the food out of my mouth using them but finding bone is not a pleasant experience.

One thing I'm really wishing I'd packed for my trip was very strong deodorant, baby wipes, and a travelling knife and fork.  They would allow me to smell fresh in a sea of bad smells and test my food for bones.  Have you ever worked in a plant or had to eat 'difficult' food?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...