Thursday, January 20, 2011

Making Math Fun

Was math class your favorite class in grade school?  Mine certainly wasn't.

I think math teachers have hard jobs.  Teaching the material is only one part - you have to make students interested in the topic.  How do you make kids interested in math?  Dressing up as a mole for mol day only gets you so far and that's really more for chemistry anyway.  

I'm bringing this up because I recently came across this article on Vi Hart and recreational mathematics.  I'd never head of her or the subject of recreational mathematics but I find what she's doing very encouraging.  I do hope her videos, such as the one I've linked below and found in the NY Times article, inspire young students to pursue careers in math (or science and engineering for that matter!) - or at least show them that not all math is bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...