Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Paris!: Random Tuesday Thoughts

This week I'm doing my own edition of Random Tuesday Thoughts.  It's no longer Tuesday where I am but that's okay.

randomtuesday

I'm currently in Paris, France, enjoying a vacation.  I've been here for four days now and have another three to go.  Paris is interesting, to say the least.  There is a lot of history here!

Frostbite hurts.  I do not recommend getting frostbite.  How do you know you have frostbite?  Not sure; my feet were simply cold, then numb, then I couldn't feel them, and when they started warming up they turned multiple colors and got really itchy and water that was slightly tepid was burning.  In other words, painful.

I expected the star marking the center of Paris to be much larger than it actually was.

The center of Paris, France.  Little, no?


Napoleon has a really large tomb!  Really, really large tomb.  I saw a couple of pictures of the tomb before I arrived but they simply did not do it justice.  Plus there were no tourists in the pictures (for a visual scale) so I thought it was a normal sized tomb, not one that is well, I can't find the dimensions of the sarcophagus that he's buried in but it's seriously gigantic.

I have a hard time looking angry/fierce while roaming the streets.  I found that if you smile, especially around the Pompidou Center where the fake deaf and dumb people are they will chase you down asking for money.

My sleep schedule is very messed up.  I'm on the wake up early (7 am - this is vacation after all!), get breakfast (9 AM), explore the city (till 4 or 5 PM), nap (till 9 PM), dinner, stay up late (it's after 2 AM here now).  Much sleeping.  That was fine the first day or so but now the number of days left is less than the number of days completed and my list of things to see is still very long!

I can't handle the mustard.  I'm very weak.  At the table of most little restaurants is very spicy mustard.  Now I ask for ketchup right away.

If you plan a trip to Paris, I recommend going during any season but the winter.  Planes are delayed.  Can't see the Eiffel Tower (oh please be less cloudy/foggy soon!).  And my feet are cold.  Despite all that it's still rather lovely.  A nice break from school / work!

3 comments:

  1. Ouch, frostbite! That does suck. Especially in Paris, yeesh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frostbite in Paris? That would kind of put a damper on things...

    But Paris! Lucky you! Princess Nagger says when she becomes rich and not-so-famous she'll take me on vacation to Paris...heh.

    RTT: Internet, Snow, Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keely: Yeah, I really can't recommend it!

    Stacy: Just make sure she takes you there sometime other than the winter! I went in the winter because it's cheaper, but since she'll be rich go during the best season. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...