Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Hectic Day

In one of my recent posts I mentioned that I respond well to bribery, especially in the form of cookies. I probably should have mentioned in that post that all the students in the lab received cookies shortly before our advisor flew to Mexico for a week.

The cookies were the incentive to keep our microbes live and well, not to mention have a bunch of stuff ready to share in the weekly meeting. My weekly meeting occurs every Tuesday afternoon for an hour. It takes the full hour because I either have an experiment that goes really well (which gets my advisor very excited about what I can publish) or one that goes really poorly (which confuses my advisor and causes us to spend significant time troubleshooting the problem).

My advisor came back yesterday. Regularly scheduled meeting was today.

I have two different experiments running right now: one is doing great, the other not so much. The two experiments, combined with the fact that I was out of town since last Friday and didn't get a chance to assemble my data over the weekend like I normally do (I got back in town last night at 11:30), meant that I was frantically sitting in the lab all morning trying to put together information to show my advisor. I finished just in the nick of time by looking through my lab notebook during class and skipping breakfast & lunch.

The hectic pace of earlier today has left me feeling unmotivated to continue working on a take-home midterm I have due Thursday. I must pull myself together! While I'd love for this midterm to complete itself I doubt it will happen.

3 comments:

  1. like the slump test tweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not bribery if it's a baked good. That's an actual law, I know it. :-)

    ficklecattle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...